Not every student will be placed in their dream school – Education Minister

Education Minister, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh, has advised students who didn’t get placement in schools of their choices, to stop ranting because they all can’t get their dream school.

Hundreds of students and parents went through sweltering times at the Computerized School Selection and Placement System solution centre at the Independence Square. Some even collapsed in the process and had to be rushed to the hospital.

Speaking at the Information Ministry, Wednesday, September 19, The minister, often referred to as Napo, advised parents to work in tandem with teachers for the selection of schools for their wards. This he says will help identify which schools are best for them all factors considered.

“My granddaughter locked herself in a room for 3 days because she wanted Wesley Girls, I asked her if the results she had could admit her at Wesley Girls and she said no. Why then do you feel sad if you didn’t get the preferred result? She told me she is crying because that’s her dream school”, he narrated.

“Some children have done things that are making them regret, as a parent if you don’t draw closer to your child’s teacher you wouldn’t know how smart they are in school. When it is time for school choices and you don’t know the strength of your child, it will be difficult to get the right SHS for them”.

“I feel the pain of parents and I understand what they are going through, both emotional blackmail and peer pressure from family members, I do understand because I’m going through it myself,” Napo told the press.

Napo who apologized to parents and guardians who underwent adversities while seeking school placement for their children said, “We all have dreams and my dream was not to experience what happened on Monday but I am also a human being and it has happened and we need to avert it from happening again.”

The Minister has come under several attacks this week after the Computerized School Selection and Placement System (CSSPS) was beset with challenges, with students unable to access the website.

The drama at the Square led to thousands of students converging at the complaints centre with their parents to resolve the glitches with their placement.

The situation deteriorated on Monday when about five students collapsed, but Napo said this year’s schools placement is the best in Ghana’s history so far.

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Facebook Comments
Loading...
Comments
Loading...

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More